Bloating leaves you feeling heavy and uncomfortable. Fortunately, it is easy to avoid.
In this video I share the two main culprits that cause bloating:
1. Salt (sodium): Water likes salt, so it tends to go where there is salt. If there is a lot of salt inside your body, there will be a lot of water as well.
2. Carbohydrates: Carbs are important nutrients that your body uses for energy, but like salt, they also hold on to water.
Both salt and carbs are needed by your body but take in too much and you will feel uncomfortably puffy.
To give your body what it needs without bloating, you should do the following:
1. limit salt to 1,500 mg per day. This is not a lot of salt. In fact, it is only about 2/3 of a teaspoon. So, put away the salt shaker and check the ingredients list on packaged foods. Packaged foods contain high levels of sodium.
2. Pick smart carbs. These are carbohydrates that are naturally low in calories and naturally high in fiber. They include fresh or frozen vegetables, berries, and cherries. You want to limit foods like pasta, candies and baked goods that contain a lot of carbs, and therefore retain a lot of water.
The Best Solution
If your goal is to lose weight and keep it off for a lifetime, you need only two things:
1. A Healthy Diet Plan. And…
2. A Healthy Mindset: Check out Dr. Becky’s Book Lose Weight without Losing Your Love Affair with Food.
This two-part strategy gets your body and your mind working together for weight loss success.
About the Author
Dr. Becky Gillaspy, DC graduated Summa Cum Laude with research honors from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1991.